Bonaire Turtle

Bari Reef Turtle

Bari Reef Turtle

Well, the diving has commenced and I thought I’d share a shot from our afternoon dive on Bari Reef here in Bonaire. As we were returning to the shore, we saw not one, not two, but three turtles! The few times I’ve photographed them, they’re usually shy and retiring, but these three were very outgoing and allowed me to get close for a few portraits. Here’s one of them looking quite dapper and happy to have his picture taken. I hope your week before Christmas is going well – mine is going swimmingly!

40 comments on “Bonaire Turtle

1. Rainee says:

Great photo! It sounds like an amazing experience :-)

2. mimijk says:

Enjoy every moment! What an awesome photo!

3. Amy says:

That is a cool capture!

4. aFrankAngle says:

While you are warm and swimming with the turtles, some of us are cold and shoveling with the snow. Good capture … so the underwater camera is off to a good start! Enjoy!!!

5. Great post Cathy! How exciting ! Also love the new revolving widget of your past shots!

6. I love turtle and you have “captured” this one beautifully – love the colouring

Thank you, LouAnn. I love turtles, too! To me, they’re just beautiful and it’s always exciting to see them on a dive. On rare occasions, they’ll let me get close enough for a shot, but these three were very unaffected by my presence. Maybe I’m just getting better at approaching them without startling them!

7. Oh Cathy! So happy for you; this looks like heaven!! Sea turtles are one of my very favorite animals, and I have been fortunate to have some very special close encounters. This shot is fantastic! Soak up some sun for me. :-)

Will do, Dawn. I’m already getting my tan back! I love sea turtles too. I get so excited when I see them feeding on the reefs. I was able to hang out with these for several minutes while they were feeding and they seemed not to mind me or my camera. It was at the end of the dive as we were coming back to shore and fortunately we both had plenty of air left so that could take these pictures. Very fun!

8. Carrie Rubin says:

Great image! I saw two turtles mating once. That was NOT such a great image… ;)

My week’s going great, too. Have a wonderful holiday!

9. That turtle belongs in the turtle version of GQ Cathy! What a handsome creature!

I know, V! Right? That pose made me think he had been to modeling school! “Give the shy look down, show your pectoral fins, but not too much chest, don’t look directly at the camera, but slightly away so they’ll wonder what you’re thinking.”

10. What a beautiful turtle! I hope you’re having a wonderful time, Cathy!!

11. marydpierce says:

I looked at this first thing yesterday morning on my phone. I had just woken up. I reached for my phone to check my email – it helps me wake up. When I saw this photo it gave me a start because I had JUST been dreaming about a giant turtle. It woke me up! Now, I can’t remember what the dream was about, other than the certainty that your turtle is a lot more benign than the turtle in my dream had been! Enjoy your wet vacation. ;-)

How interesting, Mary! I bet that was startling! I’m glad my turtle got you back into a grounded state with a calmer energy to wake up to. Very interesting, too, as I got an email from a friend yesterday saying that she had dreamed about me – so dreams were the theme!

Leave a reply, you know you want to...