Weekly Photo Challenge – One

Spotted Cleaner Shrimp

Spotted Cleaner Shrimp

One spotted cleaner shrimp on a white anemone. This thing is tiny, ya’ll – like 1/4 inch! I so love my underwater camera – an Olympus XZ-1. I can shoot RAW shots and save big files with great resolution! Taken on our last boat dive during our week in Bonaire, I decided that this shot exemplifies the idea of focusing on one thing! Hope your holidays are going very well. I’ve spent most of mine in the tropics doing one of the things that I am passionate about – diving (and with it, Underwater Photography).

To learn more about the Weekly Photo Challenge, click here.

64 comments on “Weekly Photo Challenge – One

1. This is amazing! Every anemone and the tiny, fragile shrimp! Wow! A world I can only imagine. You must be so proud!

2. S R SHATTUCK says:

Love it!!

Sent from my iPad

3. Lynne Ayers says:

A really lovely capture.

4. bikerchick57 says:

Very cool, Cathy.

Thanks, Mary. I thought so, too. I couldn’t believe how colorful it is and that didn’t really show up to my awareness until I loaded it into the computer! Imagine my surprise!

• bikerchick57 says:

Love the underwater pictures, makes me want to buy a better land camera!

The camera does make a difference. This little Olympus is perfect for me for underwater shots. It’s compact, which makes easy to travel with, but has most of the features of a DSLR. I have been amazed at the macro captures that I’ve gotten on this trip, however. I had no idea I could pull off something like this shot with this camera! It’s the first time I have shot RAW files with it and I think that makes a big difference.

5. Stop! Don’t stop! Stop! I am suppose to be resting… and all this beauty just gets me so excited and revved up! Gorgeous! When I imagine you floating there, focusing your camera, as the water supports and moves you… I appreciate even more the incredible images you get, Cathy. They just rock me. Each of your posts, makes me smile and dream… and that, right now, is such a sweeet thing!

I’m hoping it’s healing for you, Dawn. It’s true about floating (or in the case of diving, hovering) in the water as it supports you while photographing something this small. I never know whether I “got it” or not until I get back to the computer and take a look. I brought my computer on this trip and I’m so glad I did because I think it increased my learning curve for the photography. I got so many good shots on this trip and saw so many creatures. And I thought about you and sent you another healing yesterday when I saw another octopus! Soooo beautiful!
      Much love, dear friend,
      Cathy

6. […] Weekly Photo Challenge – One « LargeSelf […]

7. Wow, that is amazing! I love the colors!

And I’m glad to see you’re adhering to the old adage – keep your friends close, and your anemones closer.

Ah ha ha ha ha sorry. :P

8. Very cool picture Cathy, at least from what I can see on my phone. I’m on a much mire traditional above ground vacation with my family. Thus far I’ve only photographed the dog.

Hope you’re having a good time, V. I certainly am! We have one more day here and then head home on Thursday. Won’t be diving today so I think we’re going into town to do a little shopping. Have a great day!

9. […] Weekly Photo Challenge – One « LargeSelf […]

10. Bastet says:

Another amazing photo! Beautiful! Have a great continuation of your holiday!

11. mimijk says:

Wow…this is really awesome Cathy!!

12. […] Weekly Photo Challenge – One « LargeSelf […]

13. unfetteredbs says:

that’s a very patriotic looking shrimp. Very cool shot.

It is quite the patriotic shrimp! I didn’t realize how much so until I uploaded the photo onto the computer! Imagine my surprise! Thanks, Audra! Hope your pre-Christmas weekend with family is a great one!

• unfetteredbs says:

It’s beautiful. Heading off to work then I’ll be off for five days. Doing my pre- mini vacation jig.
        Enjoy your weekend as well Cathy.

Awesome! Have a great mini-vacation! And I will! We have one more day in Bonaire and fly home tomorrow, but the next few days after that will be fun celebrating Christmas with friends and getting re-acclimated to the cold weather. Then ski season starts! :-)

14. aFrankAngle says:

Not only small and a wonderful image, you had to have keen eyes just to spot the this colorful little guy. Great that its in combination with the anemone. I’ve got the feeling you’ve had a wonderful time … first time to this island paradise? Safe journey home!

15. Wow, this is one fricky photo… wonderful!

16. Amy says:

What a stunning capture, Cathy! Thank you for the beautiful post!

Thank you, Amy! I got so many UW shots on this trip, but this one seemed to be the best to fulfill the Weekly Photo Challenge! I was pretty excited when I saw it on the big screen of my Mac!

• Amy says:

This photo can go to the National Geo, Cathy! I use iMac too, I think iMac brings up the best image :)

Thanks, Amy! You’re too kind… :-) Actually, I use Lightroom 5 on my Mac. It’s a great photo cataloging and editing software that helps me keep track of my photos as well as non-destructive editing. It makes it very easy to handle RAW file formats which I have come to prefer both on my Olympus and my Nikon.

• Amy says:

Thank you so much for sharing it, Cathy! Coincidently I’m looking for a software to manage my files and edit photos :)

Awesome, Amy. I highly recommend Lightroom. It is an Adobe product, but not outrageously expensive, and I have truly become a huge fan!

17. […] Weekly Photo Challenge – One « LargeSelf […]

18. Gede Prama says:

visit, read the article and thanks for posting your article is quite good and we hope that all our friends all success and thank you all, greetings. (This is a good thing) :)

19. Beautiful shot! And in Bonaire. Color me totally envious!!

20. Amazing, Cathy! I feel like I’m right there. Now I just need to be under water and in Bonaire. Ha ha. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

21. […] Weekly Photo Challenge – One « LargeSelf […]

22. ShimonZ says:

This picture too, is marvelous… and the white anemone remind me of all sorts of pleasant associations… your pictures are a complete delight.

Thank you, Shimon. I love shooting underwater macros – as there are so many beautiful tiny creatures living on the reef. This particular shrimp is lives on anemones and helps to keep them clean – a symbiotic relationship! I so glad you enjoyed this one!

23. bluebrightly says:

A very cool shot! What a fantastic thing, to spend time in the tropics and dive and take photos…ah! Best holiday to you!

Leave a reply, you know you want to...