Weekly Photo Challenge – Twist

Steinway in the Canyon

Steinway in the Canyon

So here’s an interesting twist: a six-foot Steinway in the middle of Canyonlands National Park. This shot was taken before a fabulous classical music concert last September. Part of the Moab Music Festival, the Grotto Concerts are a once in a lifetime experience – and I’ve been twice! This amazing natural amphitheater off the Colorado River hosts three of these concerts during the music festival.

Imagine being transported by jet boat up the Colorado River, arriving at the edge of a mysterious rock wall, walking along a dirt path lined with dense vegetation and emerging to this! And if you’re curious, the top edge of this grotto was my subject for last week’s Weekly Photo Challenge. To see that photo, just click here.

To learn more about the Moab Music Festival, click here.

To learn more about the Weekly Photo Challenge, click here.

27 comments on “Weekly Photo Challenge – Twist

1. Amy says:

A classical music concert in in the middle of Canyonlands… , Wow! Can’t imagine being there.

It was wonderful, Amy. The Moab festival is such a treasure – amazing venues, wonderful musicians and fantastic programs. I highly recommend it. It’s always scheduled for the two weeks around Labor Day.

2. Amy Reese says:

I remember that concert from last summer, Cathy. Another beautiful photo here.

3. Carrie Rubin says:

That piano in that locale would no doubt inspire me to get my fanny back on the bench and start playing again. The piano in my living room is so lonely…

4. A baby grand on red clay: together at last, Cathy! Seriously, you nailed “twist”. I imagine that the outdoor acoustics must be quite nice in this grotto.

The acoustics are simply amazing, V. Imagine being in a place with absolute no extraneous sound. The music director actually asks everyone to be silent for about three minutes before the musicians play the first piece so they can appreciate how totally quiet it is. Then when they start playing, the music is so pure!

5. That’s definitely a twist to end all twists. I’ve seen a friend’s baby grand moved and that was quite an operation but not one of this proportion.

janet

You’re right, Janet. And this piano is not so “baby.” It’s a six foot grand! AND they do three of these concerts during the two week festival, so they move it in and out of the grotto three times. I gather it’s quite the undertaking!

6. marydpierce says:

Beautiful music happening in a breathtakingly beautiful place. How sublime. (Although, part of me cringes at the thought of all that dust getting into that magnificent piano!!)

7. jazzytower says:

Wow! That must have been some concert.

8. seabluelee says:

OK, that’s definitely a twist, a lovely surprise interpretation of the prompt.

Thanks, Lee! The challenges have been a bit strange recently and this shot came to mind immediately when I saw the challenge for this week! Hope you’re enjoying your holiday weekend!

9. […] Tourist in Your Own City Love Happy NotesWhen Shadows come a creeping HadorableTwist me baby! LargeSelfWeekly Photo Challenge – Twist marthalisekWeekly Photo Challenge: Twist Books Music Photography & MoviesWPC: Twist Light […]

10. Brigitte says:

Gorgeous shot. How wonderful (and I remember your post about this) to sit within desert colors, canyons and auras while listening to a piano sonata. It’s as if the music floated off into all that and became part of it forever–at least that’s how I like to imagine it. :D

Happy Memorial Day, Cathy!

Hi Brigitte!

Thanks so much. I love your description of the the music becoming part of that timeless place. It sure felt that way to me. It’s like a gift we humans can bring to the vibrations of the desert too! We had a wonderful Memorial Day Holiday, although it was filled with activities – but got a lot done including planting our vegetable garden. We have to do that much later here than in the South…

Hope yours was great too!

Cathy

11. Love it Cathy! You know I put the approx. date on my phone calendar and I am reminded monthly. I don’t think it will be this year but I (we) are so definitely going to go!

Feel free to leave a comment, you know you want to...